Steak is probably one of the perfect foods for anyone eating No Sugar, No Grain (NSNG), Paleo, or Keto. It also is wildly simple to make. Recipes like this one for a fast and easy pan seared steak are not fancy or complicated. It allows for a quick and easy dinner that can seem luxurious even when it really is not. You can have this steak on the table in under 20 minute!
There are two keys to a good pan seared steak. First, use a heavy cast iron skillet or a heavy stainless steel one. Non-stick surfaces are terrible at searing meat!
Second, preheat your pan! As in get it really super duper hot! Starting out with a cold pan will overcook your meat and make it tough.
So, what cut of steak should you use? Any steak over 1/2 inch is good. A thin steak will likely get tough. Steaks over an inch might take longer to cook, although if you are like me a love rare steak, then thicker may be better for you. My favorite cuts are New York Strips and Rib Eyes. I also love a good thick filet, but we usually sous vide those and then very quickly char them on the grill or in a cast iron skillet.
Cook up some soy-glazed mushrooms to go along with your steak for some extra yum! Again, all of this can be done in 20 minutes. If you are NSNG or avoiding soy, make the msuhrooms with Coconut Aminos instead of soy sauce.
- 4 steaks in cut of choice between ½″ to 1″ thick
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1-2 Tablespoons butter
- 16 ounces whole baby or sliced mushrooms
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoon butter
- Sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper evenly on both sides.
- Preheat heavy skillet over medium heat until hot
- Melt 1 Tablespoon butter in the skillet and add the steaks.
- Cook steaks 4-8 minutes per side, or until desired level of doneness. Add butter when flipping if needed.
- Remove from skillet and top with mushrooms desired.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Cook mushrooms with ½ of the butter until they give up their liquid, about 5 minutes.
- Drain excess liquid
- Add the soy sauce and remaining butter.
- Stir occasionally, until mushrooms are dark brown and liquid is evaporated, about 8-10 minutes.
This one is a mix of Angel and Devil. Devil simply because of the soy. Make it with Coconut Amino to make it NSNG.
My Favorite animal is beef – Fran Lebowitz (Beef Quote).