I love fresh homemade tomato soup, and this slow cooker tomato soup recipe with basil is a great way to make use of your garden fresh tomatoes. Worlds removed from bland canned versions of tomato soup, this rendition pumps up the antioxidants with heart healthy garlic, tomatoes, and onions. Not only is this a great way to get some of the 4 to 7 servings of vegetables you need each day, a bowl of soup before a meal has been shown to help make you feel fuller faster, which helps with weight loss.
The tomato soup is also keto, low carb, gluten free, NSNG (no sugar no grain) and whole 30 friendly! It is low calorie and healthy!
Easy Slow Cooker Tomato Soup
Using the slow cooker is a great way to make easy tomato soup. There is no need to babysit a simmering pot. Instead you can just put everything in the crock pot and there you have it! Crock pot tomato soup!
This recipe really is best with garden fresh tomatoes. If you don’t grow your own tomatoes, you can pick up some tasty ones at a farmer’s market or roadside farm stand. Grocery store tomatoes just don’t have the same flavor as fresh ones. Here is an interesting article on why that is the case! So, your slow cooker tomato soup recipe will really taste the best with fresh tomatoes.
I grow my tomatoes on the south side on my house where they get a lot of heat an sun. I also sometimes grow basil, but it tends to bolt on me, so I often pick that up at the grocery store or at the farmer’s market.
This fresh tomato soup recipe also includes onions and garlic. You can leave either or both of those out if you are not an onion or garlic fan. They are not always the norm in tomato soup recipes. But I happen to love them and I think they really give the soup a great flavor!
Vegan Slow Cooker Tomato Soup Option
You can make this soup vegan by substituting vegetable broth for the chicken broth. Also do not then use the cream of tomato soup option below.
Cream of Tomato Soup Option
Also, if you want to make cream of tomato soup, you can add some cream at the end of the cooking time and allow it to heat through. I don’t normally slow cook cream items for the full time and instead add the cream at the end. I do love creamy soups!
I like to garnish my slow cooker tomato soup with fresh basil. It is also great with a bit of Parmesan cheese.
Finally, I love to pair tomato soup with a sandwich such as my healthy grilled cheese.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1½ large yellow onions, sliced lengthwise (root to stem) into thin strips
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 5 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 (28-ounce) cans San Marzano tomatoes, drained, crushed
- 4 cups chicken broth (low-sodium) or use vegetable broth for Vegan tomato soup.
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 1 sprig basil
- ½ cup torn basil leaves, for serving
- Freshly ground black pepper, for serving
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onions, salt, and red pepper flakes. Sauté until golden brown, about 12 minutes. Stir frequently to avoid scorching. Add the garlic and sauté until softened and aromatic, about 2 minutes. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, thyme, and basil sprigs. Cover the cooker with a lid and cook on LOW for 4 hours or HIGH for 2 hours. Remove and discard the thyme and basil sprigs. Puree the soup until smooth with a handheld blender, or transfer to a food processor or blender after the soup has cooled.
- For cream of tomato soup, add about 1/2 cup to 1 cup of cream at the end of the cook time and allow to heat through.
- Serve the soup in heated bowls topped with torn basil leaves and cracked black pepper.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 149 Total Fat: 5g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 1528mg Carbohydrates: 21g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 9g Protein: 7g