When life gives you lemons, grab the tequila. ― Ben Fox (lemon quote)
If you love lemons and garlic, then you will love this recipe. It is quite easy to make and, when done in the Dutch oven or French oven , the chicken comes out ultra tender. However, you can make this in any baking dish or roasting pan. You start out with some chicken breasts, garlic, red potatoes, and green beans. These are all tossed with olive oil and salt and pepper in a bowl.
Next, layer the bottom of your pan with sliced lemons. One or two lemons will do it. UPDATE: Many people are finding this too lemony. I suggest now using thin slices and sticking to half to one lemon.
From there, it goes in the oven and roasts. One thing I noted was that the green beans got quite roasted. I like that, but if you don’t want your green beans crunchy, put the chicken on top. If you like barely cooked green beans, add them later in the process.
The final result is a quite juicy and very healthy roasted chicken meal. All in one pot and all in around an hour.
UPDATE: A few people have had issues with the potatoes getting fully cooked. I have never had that problem using baby reds cut in half in my Le Creuset. If using an alternate baking dish, you might need a bit longer.
UPDATE TWO: One reader had very good results baking this at 350 for 2 hours. I do like the idea of longer at a lower temp.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lemons (1 will be sliced and 1 juiced)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ pound trimmed green beans
- 8 red potatoes, cubed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Coat a dutch oven, cast-iron skillet, or baking dish with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Slice one lemon and arrange lemon the slices in a single layer in the bottom of the dish
- In a large bowl, combine the rest of the oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper
- Add the chicken, green beans and potatoes and toss to coat.
- Pour the mix into the roasting pan.
- Roast for 50 minutes or until cooked completely