There’s nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE- Linda Grayson, The Pickwick Papers. (Chocolate Quote)
This is a super easy recipe using a box brownie mix and Nutella that has a nice extra touch of class with hazelnut frosting. It will seem made from scratch even though you are using a box. If you prefer, you can substitute your favorite from scratch brownie mix.
These easy brownie muffins are loaded with a perfect combination of flavors. They are brownie-like in texture, yet the shape of a muffin, with rich and dense flavor and topped with swirls of creamy hazelnut frosting. Kids and adults alike will love this tasty treat. Adding hazelnuts to the batter gives them a good bit of texture and crunch.
Decorate these with chocolate candies or pieces of chocolate bars. You could also dust them with powdered sugar if you so desire. I’m posting this on Valentine’s Day, so I think the brownies are perfect with little chocolate hearts.
- For the cupcake:
- 10 oz Chocolate Fudge Brownie Mix
- ¼ cup Pure Vegetable Oil
- ¼ cup chopped hazelnuts and some additional for garnish
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup and 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 ½ tablespoons chocolate flavored hazelnut spread (nutella)
- 2 tablespoons All-Vegetable Shortening
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon milk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Heat up the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a muffin tin with 6 paper liners.
- Make the brownie mix according to the instructions with the oil, water and egg.
- Fold in the hazelnuts.
- Divide the mixture between the muffin cups, filling each one up ¾ of the way.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until set.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- While they are cooling, combine the butter, hazelnut spread and shortening until smooth.
- Beat in the sugar, salt, milk and vanilla until smooth. Add additional milk to increase creamy consistency.
- Transfer the frosting into a plastic bag and cut off the corner.
- Squeeze the frosting out to make a swirl on top of each cupcake.
- Top with hazelnuts.