“Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.” – Mark Twain (Cauliflower Quote)
This Cheesy Cauliflower Gratin Casserole is easy to make and is a great low carb side dish. Cauliflower is one of the unsung heroes of the vegetable kingdom. This elegant crown has a subtle flavor that makes it easy to pair with other flavors. But it has plenty to offer all on its own, with 1 cup providing well over half your daily requirement for Vitamin C.
You can also make this with a different cheese and change up the flavor. For example, try pepper jack or provolone!
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Pinch kosher salt
- 1 cup low fat milk
- 1 cup plain Greek-style yogurt (reduced fat)
- ½ cup grated aged Cheddar cheese
- Freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a baking dish or a 3-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Cut away the outer leaves from the cauliflower and then cut the head in half. Cut out the core to separate the cauliflower into bite-size florets. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil and add the cauliflower. Boil until the cauliflower is tender, about 8 minutes. Drain in a colander and let cool
- Heat the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. When the butter stops foaming, add the flour and stir to a smooth paste. Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring, until a light golden color with a nutty aroma, about 6 minutes.
- Whisk in the milk until there are no lumps. Return the sauce to a simmer and cook until thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the yogurt and cheese. Spoon this sauce evenly over the cauliflower.
- Bake until the sauce is golden brown on top and bubbling, about 30 minutes.